T O P
AutoModerator

As a reminder, this subreddit [is for civil discussion.](/r/politics/wiki/index#wiki_be_civil) In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any suggestion or support of harm, violence, or death, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban. If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them. For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click [here](https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/wiki/approveddomainslist) to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria. **Special announcement:** r/politics is currently accepting new moderator applications. If you want to help make this community a better place, consider [applying here today](https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/sskg6a/rpolitics_is_looking_for_more_moderators/)! *** *I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/politics) if you have any questions or concerns.*


-Electric-Shock

>Before pausing, the panel will hold one more round of hearings on Thursday, when witnesses will testify about efforts by then-President Donald Trump and his supporters to pressure U.S. Justice Department officials to help overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. The one for tomorrow is still on at 3pm ET.


watchoutfordeer

Thanks, this was not clear to me for some reason.


smmccullough

Because the article title implied they were interrupting hearings immediately.


jjnefx

Got some documentary footage to watch eh?


kestrel1000c

I envy them in a weird way. It must be fascinating.


Yossarian_the_Jumper

I pity them having to listen to hours and hours of trump bragging about himself.


Madame_Arcati

That voice, gak. Hearing it is like being forced to chew on aluminum foil. It really nauseates me now whenever I hear it, the sound of imbecility.


Greenpatient_zero

The greatest imbecile ever. Some are saying.


RustyMurican

He has the biggest words.


silverback_79

It's fascinating because I assume he has vocal cords and an adam's apple, but when he starts droning it sounds like sandpaper dragged along a train rail. Like he's whispering extremely loud. The sound of death.


King_Tamino

Lessthe voice but more he constantly looses focus. 5 topics in 1 overlong sentence and none finished Ever tried watching a speech of him?


1800ROBOCOP

What’s hours and hours after years and years at this point?


Yossarian_the_Jumper

My mom wore out her "mute" button on her remote because she couldn't listen to that asshole and that was in 2017.


alex053

With the god damn helicopter running the background the entire time.


PM_me_your_whatevah

Good lord did it all really even happen?? Was he really the president for four years?? It’s goddamned mind blowing. I still am in shock that it all happened.


ContrarianThinking

Oh we’ll see it


zijital

Probably not. Documentary editors are probably the greatest under-appreciated role in media. Average two hour documentary probably has 200+ hours of raw footage, which editors probably watch through multiple times. Any doc that is interesting to watch is that way b/c an editor cut out all the boring stuff, the tedious stuff, the stuff that was a tangent, the stuff that was OK & then put the rest together to make it into some type of beginning middle end. Watching raw footage is going to be interesting for the first hour & then you have 199 hours left.


CountMondego

You seem to have knowledge that might answer my question. Do directors just hand the footage to an editor with a rough story board and say have at it? Or do they work super closely together?


caul_of_the_void

This wasn't a documentary, but I've scored a (narrative) film before and how I saw the process work was that the director would give the editor all the footage to work with, the different takes and so on, the editor would come back with a rough edit and say "how's this?", and then the director would offer his opinion about what worked and what didn't, and they'd further refine it from there until they had a final cut. So at least from what I've seen of the process, it's very much a back-and-forth thing.


GameJerk

Ultimately depends on the director though. Some directors are very hands on in editing, with some even editing the entire thing themselves.


Secrethat

Thanks. I did one hour docos and had days (sometimes weeks) of footage. It's hard to find the interesting bits amongst the mundane.


Original_Employee621

This made me realize why Tiger King was edited the way it was. It feels like it was supposed to be a damning documentary of all the tiger breeders in the US, but "Tiger King" was just so fascinating that the editors couldn't stop themselves from making him into a sort of protagonist.


Secrethat

I totally get that. Sometimes we're doing a documentary on a specific story and another more interesting story seems to come out and its frustrating when we weren't able to investigate it or go deeper.


johnnybiggles

That Congressional popcorn must be plentiful and luxurious!


Michael_In_Cascadia

I heard there was also a *Making Of* documentary film crew documenting one of the primary White House documentary film crews. With all those camera angles, this could turn out to be as holographic as the Capitol that day, and just as crowded.


alienstouchedmybutt

I hope it has the NFL Films narrator and style.


Noisy_Toy

I’m hoping for Warner Herzog narration.


xeroxzero

Despite all ze bluzter from Donald Trump'z adminiztrazion in ze end it vaz hiz own vordz zat incriminated him.


Hyperdecanted

The rioters -- they scream in nature, but like the white mutant alligators, the white people, are they mutants? An unnatural adaptation a crooked branch of the tree of man, destined to die out as unfit? Or are they the future?


jjnefx

"The Autumn Wind is a pirate. Blustering in from sea, With a rollicking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He wears a hooded sash, With a silver hat about his head, And a bristling black mustache." "He growls as he storms the country, A villain big and bold. And the trees all shake and quiver and quake, As he robs them of their gold."


HoneyBear55

I can't believe they refuse to induct that man into the nfl hall of fame. I'm pretty sure the Raiders are my afc team just because of that monologue.


hackingdreams

Everyone's falling over themselves to turn over evidence to try to buy themselves some measure of relief from the charges... Rats are chewing each other's legs to get off the ship. Everyone's been keeping burn books on hopes to publish and get rich... now they need it to save their political careers...


BoldThrow

This\^\^\^\^\^ If it's a deluge, it means it's new, and it has come from sources that previously were not cooperating with the Committee. ​ That says "Republicans" to me.


anotherjunkie

Don’t know if you saw it, but they have hundreds of hours of documentary footage to watch that was turned over last week. The filmmaker was embedded with the Trump family during the election and immediately after. There are a other things I’m sure, but hundreds of hours of new video would qualify as a deluge in my book.


Kimber85

I saw an article yesterday that basically boiled down to there was a documentary film crew with the president and *no one on his campaign even fucking knew about it.* I wonder if people are coming forward now because they know there are tapes and they know they're fucked.


RFSandler

Oh lawdy there's tapes


wellgoshgollygeez

Holy shit, it really has come around full circle.


I_Do_Not_Abbreviate

I think one of the greatest ironies in this whole nightmare is that when the dust settles Trump will have gotten his wish and finally starred in an Emmy-award-winning film *all about him*.


LasciviousSycophant

> finally starred in an Emmy-award-winning film all about him. The monkey's paw curls.


BrandonBaylor

If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer.


DopeBoogie

The tapes were on Hunter Biden's laptop the whole time!


Gyftycf

It never fails to amaze me at how fucking stupid these people are.


SimoneNonvelodico

As John Oliver aptly put it... "Stupid Watergate".


RegentYeti

Everything before January 6 was *stupid Watergate*. January 6 was *stupid beer hall putsch*.


ShadyLogic

*Stupider Beer Hall Putsch The first one was already pretty goddamn stupid.


SpreadsheetJockey227

And, much like that very stupid beer hall putsch, came much closer to working than such a stupid idea shoukd have.


FloridaMJ420

I think it's because we have turned following thought process into a pillar of our society: > Screw 'em! Rip 'em off! As long as we get the money! That's what's important! Getting the money! ...and we like to treat people with that mentality as if they are very skillful and business-minded. The reality is that while yes, being a con man is a skill that you can develop, it's not exactly the same as being a skillful business person. Can you run a business scamming people? Yes, of course. But skill at running a well-oiled machine that is a profitable business in a responsible way is worlds apart from scamming or shafting people out of their money on the morality scale and that's where we went wrong. We just said screw it and threw out the morality scale and decided that only raw monetary returns define the worthiness of the success of a person in this country. I submit that one can be a more successful person while making less profit than others. There is more to life than amassing a pile of money in one spot for one person. Many things are more important than this unfortunate illusion of money with which we are currently so enamored. So for a person to run a business that makes them a profit, provides a real product or service to the community, and makes their money not just by being a negative sucking force that destroys but a positive force that builds for the future, I think a person can be more successful making less profit. When we idolize the sucking scum that make more short-term profit at the expense of long-term decay, we are creating a festering breeding ground for these people who blindly worship wealth as the ultimate measure of being a successful human being. Thank you for your time. 😁


YeahIGotNuthin

Someone here on Reddit wrote yesterday, *”Man, woman, person, camera, TV…. Wait, CAMERA? Oh no, there was a camera here this whole time??”*


Geler

Its the footage from the documentary team that was following Trump. They got it yesterday.


Ghost_of_Till

L'Embarras des richesses. Imagine having to transcribe and organize hundreds of hours of video tape in a week, never mind actually parsing it for criminal analysis.


jjnefx

Coffee & Adderall for everyone!


Ghost_of_Till

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.


chip1252

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop amphetamines.


dank_imagemacro

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop making Airplane! references.


chip1252

Surely you can't be serious.


GiveToOedipus

Bet the popcorn machine in the Capitol is working overtime.


Rusdino

I want to know the documentary team, knowing this subpoena was going to happen, already prepared a special 4 part supercut. Make America Fascist; An Attempted Coup. Each episode centers on different felonies and the folks that committed them on camera.


markca

Sounds like the committee is going to have a movie night. Who's bringing the popcorn?


moschles

Even Fox News analysts are saying things like "Trump may have committed a crime."


Gone213

Of course. Fox flipped. A judge just ruled that the $1?6 billion dominion lawsuit against Murdoch and Fox News parent company can move forward. Also they saw that 20 million Americans tuned in to watch the committee while they aired some stupid cooking show no one cares about.


TokingMessiah

I would say it’s all about the first part, since Murdoch’s money is now on the line and it isn’t just Fox News that’s being targeted.


ELI_10

This just in: bear may have shit in the woods.


HobbesNJ

Lots of new info coming in as co-conspirators realize they need to cooperate to hopefully avoid jail time.


Karl-Anthony_Edwards

My money is on Mo Brooks spilling the tea after he lost his primary last night. Dude was one of Trump’s most loyal lap dogs and now Brooks is basically out of politics because of him


illit1

Trump spat in his face with that endorsement switch. Brooks gon' be mad


Gertrude_Born1953

Mo Brooks once paid my cousin $60 to spit in his mouth outside a Birmingham bowling alley


alaijmw

> Mo Brooks once paid my cousin $60 to spit in his mouth outside a Birmingham bowling alley That cousin's name? Lindsey Graham


Steepleofknives83

I have no choice but to believe this.


illit1

Many people are saying it


Its_Just_A_Typo

The best people. Sounds legit to me.


DantifA

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Mo Brooks, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Brooks throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Brooks decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name "Turkish Delight." And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.


goodbyeadvice

Did you see that Brooks just came out and said he now wants to testify in front of the committee, but ONLY if it's in public? There's no way the timing is coincidental. He's gotta be out for revenge.


FauxReal

He said he's retiring from politics and that "the bad guy won" when Trump's pick won the primary.


Kiyuri

Sounds like a textbook case of Main Character Syndrome to me.


wartfairy

Most perfect description


Helldozer5000

He said he wants it public so they can't pick and choose which parts of his responses they show. He definitely plans on spouting some bullshit.


[deleted]

[удалено]


cypressgreen

The committee ain’t putting no one on tv who hasn’t testified first in private. Your move, Mo.


Oxajm

Is that for real? I'd watch that!


ChechoMontigo

The knives are out yet again amongst the trump people


Xero_Entropy

Republicans have always purged anyone that doesn't fall in lockstep, and now they are doing it for anyone not down with their new confederacy.


simplelifestyle

> My money is on Mo Brooks spilling the tea after he lost his primary last night. Dude was one of Trump’s most loyal lap dogs and now Brooks is basically out of politics because of him https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics/mo-brooks-testify-january-6-committee/index.html


onthat66-blue-6shit

"Reissue" his subpoena ... how do these people get away with this shit? Most people's lives would be ruined if the refused a court order. It is not okay


TarantulaMcGarnagle

Wasn't Mo on the dais on Jan. 6?


Peachy33

While wearing a bulletproof vest if memory serves correctly.


FauxReal

Weird, did he expect violence?


OG_Antifa

Absolutely he was.


ApprehensivePirate36

Many people are saying he was there to kick ass and take names.


EwokVagina

I think the staffer Ron Johnson threw under the bus today is about to get a call.


AnonAmbientLight

Run, don’t walk, to the DOJ and Jan 6 committee if you’ve got a guilty conscience. The best deals go to those who get there first and are willing to cooperate.


johnnybiggles

They might also be making some time to gather & produce their transcripts for the DOJ. DOJ sprung that on them this week so they would probably want to help them accelerate the criminal part of this. Cheney has been explicitly tying everything to criminal statutes. That's a huge signal to the DOJ: "WE ARE DOING YOUR JOB FOR YOU. COME GET THIS."


Cl1mh4224rd

>DOJ sprung that on them this week so they would probably want to help them accelerate the criminal part of this. They actually made that request weeks ago. The Committee refused. The latest request was basically a resubmission of the same request, I think.


johnnybiggles

That's because they're not finished with it. Typically, the DOJ is *ahead* of other investigative agencies or Congress, but because they've been working through 800+ people being charged (largest criminal event ever, I believe), they are just now starting to meet the upper echelon of players as the J6 Committee is putting them on public display, under oath. Neither wants the other to spoil their work, which can happen if they're working in parallel, but not together. The J6C is not a criminal investigation, but a legislative one. They'll have to give up the goods at some point and that will likely be included in the break over the next few weeks since J6 is already wrapping up, though still getting more tips and evidence submissions.


fingerscrossedcoup

Don't be Wayne Jenkins


TriflingHotDogVendor

The new Trump strategy is apparently to release so much incriminating information that they have to keep pushing back the next hearing until 2023.


LaPyramideBastille

I love history, and hubris will get you every time. How blown out of proportion are you when you're shocked that a film was in a room with you? How much excess safety and comfort from responsibility do you have to have to become that stupid? All these idiots had to do was take the pandemic even half seriously and they would have won the election fair and square. I hate this reality. I know others are worse but this one is just dumb.


Seikoholic

I love history too; just wish I wasn't living through it.


mycarwasred

Like the old curse, "May you live in interesting times"


Lonely_Set1376

Trump (and his followers and sycophants) really thought he'd be in power forever, just like Putin. Hell, I was afraid of that happening. They were clearly not to shy to try absolutely anything to get there, and we've seen that our laws are almost completely unprepared to punish or even stop a POTUS who decides to go rogue.


otter111a

That documentary footage is so key. Now it’s not just a group of people trying to get their false version of reality straight with their co conspirators, it’s complete uncertainty about what was recorded and what they did in that moment. The tapes won’t lie so they can’t either.


Mastermollusk

Maybe, but I’m more curious about Chuck Grassley’s comment on 1/5 that he didn’t expect Pence to be at the capitol on 1/6 and that he himself would certify the electors. “We don’t expect him to be there.” He walked it back later but I feel Chuck kinda gave away “plan B”. Ties to Pence not wanting to get in the SS car and the fake electors package that Johnson was “holding”. https://www.businessinsider.com/grassley-prompts-confusion-over-pence-electoral-college-certification-2021-1?amp


niffins

Oof, this is juicy. It's unnerving how strange comments like this have gone from being confusing to feeling much more sinister in light of how deep this mess seems to be rooted.


krashundburn

> It's unnerving how strange comments like this have gone from being confusing to feeling much more sinister in light of how deep this mess seems to be rooted. This is how I've been viewing T****'s utterances throughout his term. He said a lot of stupid/strange things but once we know more context we may learn he was spilling a lot of beans (and I ain't talkin' Goya) at the time. The man has no filter.


niffins

Yup. Plus, if he hired the documentary team under the delusion that he was entirely correct in his actions, even if he did have a filter it would be set in the wrong direction. He wasn't looking to give reasons for his actions that Normal People™️ would see as positive, but rather to provide Hollywood-level entertainment for Team Trump™️ and feed the baseless conspiracies that he himself has sown within their minds. This documentary would have been his grand opus if he succeeded in being instilled as a dictator, but since his brain is so steeped in Hollywood theatrics and drama, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to make it his own version of Ocean's Eleven, without realizing that in heist movies the main characters tend to be the bad guys.


FCY4ever

Based on the last 6 years, they will still lie even though video will say otherwise. They need to keep throwing red meat at their base.


Reload86

Yeah I mean there is actual audio of Trump being a complete POS sex offender who proudly uses his “fame” to grab women by the p*ssy. Yet there is an army of extreme right-wing women who turn their heads and support Trump. They came up with their own little bumper sticker of “Women for Trump”.


quesawhatta

I can not WAIT to see how this turns out. Lady Ruby and her daughter really humanized this for America. When LR explained how she felt targeted SPECIFICALLY by the sitting US president for just doing her job… I nearly cried. She spelled out so clearly how many have felt during Trump’s reign of terror. And it wasn’t some pod cast host, right wing internet blogger or southern politician…a woman who (at the time) loved her community and working for it. Now she is fearful of that same community. Fucking heart breaking.


FingFrenchy

Yeah, her testimony was heartbreaking. She really highlighted the human toll on an individual level. I think that's what people need to hear. We can talk till we're blue in the face about the big lie and how it's this huge existential threat to democracy, but sometimes taking it down to the individual level is what's needed for people to connect with the true horror of what's going on. It personalizes it and shows the human cost of letting Trump walk all over us.


readymint

Have you seen that Sharonsaysso’s followers have donated 300k in the last day to them? I was so sad after the testimony but it’s really heartwarming to know they have that kind of money and support pouring into their lives after all the toxic waste trump caused.


sailhard22

Man, I love how the Right think the Jan 6 insurrection *isn’t* a big deal but Hunter Biden’s laptop *is*


throoawoot

Trump did everything in his power to try to end American democracy. Period, point blank. I'm so done with the gaslighting.


RussellGrey

The GOP did. Not just Trump. Trump is a symptom not the disease. They WILL try again if there is no consequences.


mostlyBadChoices

They ARE trying again. They haven't let up. There's more restrictive voting, more gerrymandering, more of all of their anti-democracy tactics because they know 100% that if we had a true democracy the GOP stands zero chance of winning -- even in most of the so called red states.


Cantthinkofnamedamn

I think that even the committee is surprised by the reception they are getting. It's still early to tell, but I wonder if this could be a case study on fighting propaganda. The GOP and their propaganda channels have known this was coming for months, and the best they can muster is deflection - 'this is boring' or 'we should be talking about inflation instead'. Bit by bit Jan 6 is turning from a matter of opinion into a matter of fact.


ynotfoster

They are doing an excellent job of presenting the material. It's understandable to most, they have good use of multimedia, and the testimonies are straight from the horse's mouth and zeros in on the important parts without dragging on with boring verbiage.


slackfrop

It’s a godsend we don’t have a Ted Cruz or a Lindsay Graham on the panel sabotaging the character of the hearings. Boring verbiage and miles long deflections would be their jam. Edit: was pointed out that this being a hearing in the house, senators would not be an option. It’s an important distinction as we advocate for accuracy of information.


JojenCopyPaste

When I tuned into the first hearing I had a brief regret that this was going to be just all the regular committee hearings where the Republicans would just grandstand and spout their BS for half the time. Then remembered none of the crazies were allowed onto the panel so the Republicans that are on it are actually cooperating.


goodbyeadvice

For what it's worth, I believe Pelosi only vetoed two of the five GOP members that McCarthy put forward (Gym Jordan and ~~Gaetz~~ EDIT: Jim Banks). McCarthy then threw a fit and pulled back the other three as well. Nancy shrugged, grabbed Cheney and Kinzinger and here we now are. It's great to think that McCarthy himself is the reason these hearings are as coherent as they are. Major blunder from his point of view, though obviously good for the country.


mistarteechur

McCarthy is an exceptionally stupid man…a real triumph of stupidity when you look at his peers.


yeswecann

Cocaine orgies 'll do that


Its_Just_A_Typo

Good. McCarthy can eat a bag of dicks. I hope he realizes how much he did for this committee, and loses a lot of sleep over it.


DBCOOPER888

A part of me wonders if McCarthy and some GOP members went along with this solely because they wanted to burn Trump without losing too much support from their base.


fishbiscuit13

That is literally the entire republican playbook, get as much for yourself and burn the building down on the way out.


AbsentGlare

This is actually **the** reason they are working. There is no way to grab some soundbytes from a lying sack of shit during the hearings to present as a falsified summary. There’s no “other side” of the hearings. There’s no middle ground between information and disinformation for them to lean into, there’s just information. There aren’t even two competing narratives for them to sow doubt with. There’s just the fucking facts. People in the US are so obsessed with freedom of speech and their own self-aggrandizing commitment to it at the expense of leaving our most vulnerable victims to dangerous, brain-scrambling propaganda.


DopeBoogie

> There’s no “other side” of the hearings. There’s no middle ground between information and disinformation for them to lean into, there’s just information. There aren’t even two competing narratives for them to sow doubt with. There’s just the fucking facts. As it should be.


0H_MAMA

It’s a house panel but your point still stands


Beastw1ck

I literally didn’t know such a thing could be pulled off in America anymore but I love to be proven wrong. The Jan 6 hearings have been a class act.


billiam0202

Not to mention no shit flinging from Gym Jordan or Traitor Greene.


austynross

>Straight from the horse's mouth And every damn one of those horses has been a Republican. That's what really puts the nail in the coffin of any specious counter argument.


T0ysWAr

And testimonies are from GOP member and the public. Not Democrats.


quesawhatta

AND a lot of the damning testimony is coming from Republicans. And not Republicans from swing dates, but those in Georgia.


stereosanctity87

>The GOP and their propaganda channels have known this was coming for months Well, I’d argue that they’re actually experiencing the perils of not participating in the committee’s investigation. Their lack of cooperation has put GOP lawmakers in a position where they don’t know what’s coming at them or who will be in the committee’s crosshairs on a day-to-day basis.


lilpumpgroupie

All their talking points about it being a façade, and a hoax, and a fake Hollywood production just are so goddamn hollow right now. And they have no defense. They just have to sit there and get kicked in the fucking balls and take it. And hope it blows over, by doing what they always do, which is absolutely nothing, and just letting the American attention span do the work.


SkyHighColumbia293

Sadly like 30% of the country will just not care about any of this no matter how damming. My in laws literally actively avoid anything about it, they’re too obsessed with stocking up for when “the government fails and shit goes down” not too sure what they mean but my mother in law has been obsessively canning, and putting supplies and foods away. Just wasting all their money cause a dude on YouTube said something. The internet is melting peoples brains man.


DCBillsFan

Those 30% of people were never reachable to begin with. It’s the 40% of the country that didn’t vote in 2020 we’re looking at here.


idoma21

Agreed. Major miscalculation by KM in pulling the Republicans.


joecb91

Thanks for that blunder Kevin, the rest of us really appreciate it.


DUBBZZ

Reality is starting to set in. They can’t spin it anymore


Divayth--Fyr

It's such weak deflection too. Like, "this guy committed treason 378 times, sure, but gas is more now! So...that's about the same right?"


lilpumpgroupie

Granted, I don't look super hard, but it really feels like the right wing is collectively sort of having like a shock realization that this is really bad for the far right, and specifically for the Trump part of the right wing. Where Trump goes, the right wing goes. Even if they don't feel true allegiance to him, he is still the fucking captain of the ship.


DaM00s13

It was fact for the first week or so until the propaganda caught up to it and turned it into a matter of opinion. It’s turning back into fact it seems, I just hope it lasts this time. Fox and OAN will throw shit at the wall till something works, I just hope they don’t find that sticky shit week or so intermission.


Cantthinkofnamedamn

The committee has done a pretty good job of applying shit resistant coating onto all the walls. Let's hope they didn't miss a spot.


Dizzy_Share3155

I thought they were going to skip Thursday. I was about to get mad. I bought popcorn.


-Electric-Shock

It's still on!


insipidgoose

Oh boy people are squealing like mad.


danielstover

Regular hog farm, huh?


PapaSteveRocks

Mo Brooks was the January 6 elected official rabble rouser wearing a bulletproof vest. He knew what was going down that day. And Trump dumped him. There is nothing so vindictive as a formerly entitled elected official. Trump took away his meal ticket. He has no interest in being a patsy like Eastman and Rudy, the other non-Trumps on the stage that day.


TwasBrillig_

Very exciting. Actually.


politicsfuckingsucks

The hearings have had a good strong momentum, even Fox started airing them. There must be some really interesting stuff in the new evidence for them to decide to tell everyone to wait a few weeks. It's risky and they wouldn't do it without an important reason.


the_turdfurguson

Fox started airing them because the courts ruled dominion can sue Murdoch for directing the stories as it was active malice. His private wealth became a target so he’s pivoting hard


fleeyevegans

How bizarre is it that an old Australian guy is running right wing politics in America?


RizzMustbolt

Globally. He's got his malodorous little digits in a whole lot of crusty pots.


squanch_solo

Not just America.


TarantulaMcGarnagle

Is that true?


the_turdfurguson

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/06/21/after-court-lets-fox-news-challenge-move-forward-heres-where-dominion-and-smartmatic-defamation-suits-stand-now-and-who-could-be-next/amp/ News Corp and the murdochs. It impacts his entire empire, not just Fox


JoeDirtsMullet00

Good. Fuck him for allowing dangerous lies to be spread on his networks.


Mateorabi

"allowing"? pshaw. that was the reason he created them...


Jezon

Poor guy just divorced his fourth wife who is 26 years younger than him. All he was trying to do was promote his superior moral conservative family values to a foreign nation. /s


Ofbearsandmen

Didn't you know? Conservative family values^TM don't apply if you're a white straight man.


Robofetus-5000

A friend of mine said he was SHOCKED by them. He voted for trump in the first election and said the first day of hearing made him change his registration from republican to democrat. Hes an ATF officer, in Mississippi, and he said he entire field office was like "wtf did i just watch." They were completely taken back by this, they hadnt seen any of it.


bananafobe

Supposedly this was expected/intended by the committee. They're still doing interviews behind closed doors, and having public hearings with damning evidence is a good way to encourage people who might have assumed they were safe to reconsider their refusal to cooperate.


Ch1Guy

So Republicans were in a bind.... Trump already lost to Biden (a not particularly strong candidate) once. Now with all the crap about him and his family coming out, he was even less likely to win again. Add a couple years and his erratic behavior, and he is an anchor on the Republicans. They know if they dont support him he will burn down the whole party.. Desantis is just as evil as Trump but a lot smarter with a much better chance to get elected. So how do they get Trump out of the way to give Desantis a chance without Trump splitting the Republican party? Suddenly there is a lot more material for the committee


Benegger85

Yep. It is very dangerous for all of us, but I think that is the plan as well.


StillBurningInside

No . It’s important not to burn the public out. In a fast paced 24 hour click bait media landscape it’s important to drip some information instead of a waterfall. Dripping information works best ,then the subjects of investigations squirm and writhe over what the next drip will bring . They begin to mount defenses of what they assume where the investigation will lead Let camp maga scurry , and in fight and maybe , just maybe someone breaks away in fear and turns on them.


Benegger85

That's what has happened and why they are suddenly getting a lot of new info. Stretching it out now only ensures even more people feel the heat and flip on Trump.


KatetCadet

Donald is going to be pissed that they are putting on a better show than he ever did.


Feeling-Box8961

The initial hearing got 3x as many viewers as The Apprentice ever had.


natigin

I was reminded today that the Watergate hearings lasted something like 55 days and at the beginning Nixon had almost unanimous support within his party. Very different eras and Presidents, but the longer this goes on (assuming more hard evidence comes out) the better


Frapplo

I like how every time they try to downplay what happened, there's *more* evidence that not only did it happen, but it was way worse than we imagined.


preatorian99

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.


autotldr

This is the best tl;dr I could make, [original](https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/06/22/citing-deluge-new-evidence-house-jan-6-committee-delays-hearings) reduced by 80%. (I'm a bot) ***** > Citing a "mountain of new information" requiring analysis, the congressional committee investigating the January 6, 2021 attack on the United States Capitol announced Wednesday that it will delay the hearings into the deadly insurrection until next month. > So rather than present hearings that have not been the quality of the hearings in the past we made a decision to just move into sometime in July," committee chair Rep. Bennie Thompson told reporters, according to The Hill. > We just need to catch our breath, go through the new evidence, and then incorporate it into the hearings we have planned. ***** [**Extended Summary**](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/villzr/citing_deluge_of_new_evidence_house_jan_6/) | [FAQ](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/31b9fm/faq_autotldr_bot/ "Version 2.02, ~656172 tl;drs so far.") | [Feedback](http://np.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%23autotldr "PM's and comments are monitored, constructive feedback is welcome.") | *Top* *keywords*: **hearings**^#1 **new**^#2 **support**^#3 **information**^#4 **committee**^#5


RedditWillSlowlyDie

Also, Thursday is still on. >Before pausing, the panel will hold one more round of hearings on Thursday, when witnesses will testify about efforts by then-President Donald Trump and his supporters to pressure U.S. Justice Department officials to help overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.


jar1967

The DOJ has started seizing phones and issuing subpoenas A lot of people have come to the realization that it will be best to talk voluntarily before someone throws them under the bus


Malaix

I wonder if they finally found footage from Trumps bunker where he was supposedly acting ecstatic while everyone around him was freaking out as the gravity of the situation unveiled itself. Always struck me as odd that in a room of lunatics and no loyalty grifters no one was filming the event either thinking it would be a "historic patriot moment" or to just cover their ass.


jazzrz

Whole committee grabbing the popcorn and settling in for a long watch of some spicy footage.


UsualAnybody1807

I like how the DOJ kept pestering them for records. Hello, they are holding the hearings right now, you can have the records once they become that - records.


10amAutomatic

Imagine if we had video of him giggling and cackling while watching J6 unfold on Fox News


mindfu

Or even better, laughing and stating out loud what dupes his fans are, and how he hopes they kill Mike Pence.


dispelthemyth

Everyone around trump in the lead up to Jan 6th now got to ask, what did the cameras see or hear, do I go straight to congress and flip


_SCHULTZY_

Does this mean Eastman flipped?


666_april

Alex Holder turned over his documentary footage and has agreed to testify


billzybop

How the hell can he flip? He's the second most culpable pos in this steaming pile of garbage.


Lonely_Set1376

That's actually the reason he'd flip. Trumpworld was looking to throw him under the bus and make him their patsy. But if he flips, he can get the best deal to get out of it. Like a Uno reverse card. Trump's inability to return people's loyalty is finally starting to catch up to him.


Yossarian_the_Jumper

If Eastman was half as smart as he thinks he would have flipped months ago.


[deleted]

[удалено]


Panzerdrek

The issue imo is that this is all time sensitive. They have 4 months until midterm elections. They need to get this wrapped up with time for the trials to prevent interference on the part of Congress in the very likely event Republicans take both chambers. And the real kicker of it all is that Republicans didn't stop on January 6th. In the contrary they've invested even more in anti-democratic tactics at nearly every level of government to the point of engaging in a coordinated effort to install partisan election officials across the country specifically trained to gum up the works and contest Democratic votes. 2022 is going to be a shitshow. 2024 may well be the death knell of our democracy if this isn't wrapped up quickly and in a comprehensive manner that roots this shit completely out of the Republican party. Personally I don't think it will, and I think we have to prepare for the very realistic possibility that Republicans are going to try to overthrow our democracy again in the near future, but with the experience of knowing what worked and what didn't. I honestly think we're at the precipice here and this is a make or break situation.


1800ROBOCOP

This IS the biggest crime in American History and is still ongoing quite frankly. There are senators, governors, and representatives in Congress who are still very much criming rn.


kevlarbuns

The competition to throw furthest under the bus has commenced.


kagiles

One Senator has already been outed in attempting to help with false electors. How many Reps are going to get caught? DOJ would need to prosecute right? This would really fuck with midterms (and I kind of like it). The rats are leaving their sinking ship, hence all the tips.


themightytouch

I once met an old man who back in the day got arrested and served jail time for having a pound of weed in his car. Trump committed an insurrection that killed people, and it’s a coin toss as to whether he will get arrested or not. That’s the country we live in.


NoAttentionAtWrk

A whole pound? There are people in jail for a single blunt And then there are those that were shot dead because the officer "smelled" weed


BurnedOutStars

All they gotta do is paint Garland into the tiniest corner earth has ever known. We all know a lot of the powers-that-be do not want to prosecute a President. We also, as a nation didn't want an actual insurrection to happen where people died for the purpose of illicitly pushing for a current President to remain in power when in reality: they lost to the will of the people. So, really, all that has to be done is force the issue so hard with so much "firehose of actual truth" (as opposed to "firehose of falsehoods") that it's a MUCH easier choice for Garland to act on what shouldn't be this hard to decide.


dejavuamnesiac

The more Garland has no option but to prosecute, the more likely a jury will also convict the orange monstrosity


BurnedOutStars

precisely. If seen in this way, the committee and what they are doing are a literal requirement for not just America specifically, but Democracy too. I am starting to see their purpose as being multi-faceted.


eggmaker

“It sounds mercenary and it smacks of rats leaving the sinking ship. But get real, when everyone is bailing out, you don’t want to be the last man standing.” — Robbie Fowler


IS2SPICY4U

*But wait! There’s more..* - The MyPillow Guy


Beankiller

Surprise tapes rapidly diminished the public’s support of Nixon and hence changed the course of history when they came out during the Watergate hearings. But of course, the general public was actually paying attention back then and Fox News didn’t exist.


scislac

I was going to say, that was literally the turning point in US media because the bad actors realized what they needed to achieve to prevent a repeat in the future.


PopeHonkersVII

Oh shit. This might be “the storm” we were warned about